Monday, March 15, 2010

Scarlet Fever

I was 12 years old and June was about 9 months old. We both got very, very ill. Our parents were concerned more with June than with me because of our ages.
Our bishop was a pediatrician, so my folks called him up to see what was wrong. He looked at June and said it looked as though she had the measles, not to worry too much. But Mom and Daddy were still worried. June was too sick for this to be just a simple case of measles - and I already had the measles, but I had the same thing.
Mom called the doctor and was told they didn't want a contagious child in the waiting room. They could wait in the car and a nurse would come out to get them when the Dr. was ready. I remember Daddy was furious about that.
I don't remember much about the 2 weeks that I was sick. I remember getting out of bed and laying on the couch. I slept a lot, didn't eat too much and had a high fever. I had red spots, then developed fever sores around my mouth.
I don't know when we were diagnosed with scarlet fever. When I finally got well enough to sit up and eat, I was weak. Daddy convinced me to try to walk tot he store with him. I made it about a block before I had to head home. Daddy's arm was firmly around my shoulder. He kept encouraging me to go a little further but I was SO tired.
After I went back to school June got even sicker. The doctor put her in Children's Hospital in Detroit. Her ear drums had burst. She got a priesthood blessing.
June's hearing was totally restored. She has not had any problems with her ears at all. She did, however, have a rapid heartbeat from the time she was a little girl to after the birth of her first child. She went to U of M Medical Center and had an outpatient surgery that repaired that problem.
I don't think I had any ill affects from scarlet fever. I really don't remember much about myself at all. I just remember my parents concern over their small baby. I guess I should be happy that my parents had the faith that I would pull through unscathed - which I did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment