Monday, June 29, 2009

This past year has been a devastating one for Detroit. The mayor was thrown in jail, scandals are breaking out everywhere and now a city council member has pled guilty of bribery. It is so hard to believe that this is the same city where I grew up.
I loved growing up in Deroit. Anything you wanted to do was withhin a short drive. We had a world class symphony, a beautiful zoo, theaters, entertainment, stores and restaurants, Boblo Island, Edgewater Park, Metro beaches, Canada across the river, Motown, parades, any kind of athletics you could have imagined and on and on. The history of Detroit is an exciting one with the sprawl of housing and the auto industry.
My friends and I used to walk everywhere and when it was too far to walk we caught a bus. For .30 cents we could go anywhere (.25 cent fare and a nickel transfer). And we did. We all had parents who made sure we knew the rules about being home before dark. No one really worried about dangers.
I guess the whole world is changing - and not necessarily for the best. What's scary is that these are our leaders who are committing the crimes. Maybe some leaders always were crooks but we just didn't know about it. I don't know. I wish I didn't know now, either. I want to love where I grew up and not be embarrassed by it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment