Saturday, July 25, 2009

Odd jobs

I have had some strange jobs in my life. Most of my jobs were ordinary, but a few were remarkable.
I started to make money when I was 12. I cat-sat 6 adult cats across the street when the humans went away for a week or so. Beautiful cats!
I also started to baby-sit. The pay when I first started was .25 an hour. One time the people I had babysat for gave me $5.00 for sitting from 7:00 to 1:00 a.m. My Dad made me give the $5.00 back. Hmmmmm. He said it was too much money and I needed to give it back.
When I was 15 I had a job babysitting from 9 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon, Monday through Friday. It was great. The kids were 11 and 12 years old. The house had central air and there was a pool in the backyard. I think I made $40.00 a week. I was RICH!
My next job was as a nurses aid in a nursing home. A truly horrible job. A woman pooped in my hand once. The best thing was that I met my husband there. He was a tall gorgeous orderly.
I worked in a nursing home for a short while again, then sold Tupperware.
The worst job I have ever held came next. It was a small factory where chickens were hung on hooks and traveled on a rack around several tables where the workers sliced off the meat and put it in trays. I got the leg part. It was cold in there, it was wet in there. The people I worked with were not the kind you would find in church. As a matter of fact, there was a little fat man who was a supervisor who smelled worse than the dead chicken. Everything he ate turned into a noxious gas that he would let loose at will. NASTY!! I ended up with a severe case of bronchitis from there.
Next I took in two children to tend. Not a good thing. Their mother was unreliable. There were days I had the children from 7 in the morning to 10 at night. The 3 year old was not potty-trained and refused all attempts to become so. After I quit watching the children, their mother died. I felt horrible for those children. I pray they found a family who would love them.
I will continue this litany another day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment