Sunday, September 6, 2009

First Date

I was so excited that Saturday evening in late July of 1971. The cute tall guy from work had asked me out! I didn't know what we were going to do, but I knew I had to look my best.
Bruce picked me up in his grabber blue 1966 ford falcon. I loved the color of that car. He wanted to know if we could go into Battle Creek to make a payment on his lay-away before we went to a movie. No problem for me, I was with the tall cute guy from work.
We pulled into the parking lot of this department store (I cannot remember the name of it anymore, it has long since gone out of business) and went in. Just as we were walking into the store, we heard a crash. But we were on a mission, so we didn't even turn around. Oops.
When we came out of the store, we noticed a police cruiser near where Bruce had parked his car. As we drew nearer, we noticed that Bruce's car was not parked where we left it. It was parked into the fender of a corvette that had been in front of his car.
Bruce didn't get a ticket, but the guy who had the 'vette was hopping mad. It wasn't his! It belonged to a friend who had rented it. What a mess. It was determined that the parking brake had slipped and the car rolled down into the 'vette. It was a pure accident. Not a good start to a first date.
Anyway from there we went to a drive-in movie titled "Alice's Restaurant". It was an anti-vietnam war comedy. Kind of. But we both enjoyed it and the title song by Arlo Guthrie came to be quite popular.
Bruce took me home and kissed me in my living room. On the mouth! I don't remember walking anywhere else that night. I had died and gone to heaven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment