Saturday, September 12, 2009

In the Closet

I was 17 when the house my dad was building was almost done. I had been given the choice of bedrooms, the one at the front of the house next to my parents, or the one at the back across the hall from my parents room. I chose the one across the hall because there was a window that allowed the rising sun in. It faced the east.
My parents had rented an electric sander to finish the floors, but the floors needed to be sealed then varnished. Since this was to be my room, my job was to seal the floor. It was in the fall, so in the daytime it was warm, but towards evening it was cool. I had gone over to the house in the middle of the day to work. It was nasty work, so I dressed accordingly - blue jeans, flannel shirt, bare foot ( I preferred bare feet) and hair in pigtails.
By the time I was halfway through the room, the sun was going down. It was getting quite cool in the house. Then someone was knocking at the door. I couldn't believe we were having visitors! My dad and I were the only ones in the house. I had hoped they would talk then the visitor would leave. Oh, no! Daddy invited the neighbor in for a tour.
I could hear their voices, so I could judge where they were in the house. I decided that I looked too horrible to meet the neighbors, so I hid in my closet. I forgot to mention that my dad put lights in the closet that would come on when the door opened, didn't I?
As I sat in the dark closet, I was getting colder and colder. My feet, in particular were cold. I had gloves to wear while sealing the floor, so I got this brilliant idea of putting the gloves on my feet to help warm them up.
I could hear the footsteps and voices coming down the hall to my bedroom. my dad was explaining all that we were doing. They walked into my room (?!?). My dad was telling this neighbor, whom I had never met, about the sealing process. THEN he decided to brag about the light in the closet.
They were both standing in front of the closet when my father proudly opened the door. The light came on and shone right down on me as I sat on the floor of the closet with gloves on my feet.
There was a moment of silence. We were all just kind of staring at each other, too stunned to speak. Then my dad closed the door. The light went out and the two of them left the room. Soon our visitor left. My dad came to the closet and opened the door again. I was still sitting there with the gloves on my cold feet.
"He's gone.", he said. "You can come out now." He was actually smirking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment