Thursday, September 10, 2009

Halloween Costumes

Since it's coming up on halloween in a month or so, I recalled some of the costumes from the past. The one I had when I was about 10 was a full body monster costume. My parents had bought it for me, so it hung on a hanger in my room for a while before halloween. I would wake up in the night and see this looming 'thing' by my closet. My heart would speed up and I could feel my blood go cold in my veins. I would then remember that it was my halloween costume. I was invited in to many homes to show off my 'cool' monster costume.
When Rob was 5 years old, he went out as Mister T. We bought the bald and mohawk head piece, then we stuffed the arms of his bigger brother's shirt to give him huge muscles. I put on every pices of jewelry I owned. He was so adorable. Unfortunately being white with blue eyes it was a really hard sell.
Brian and Steve went to headstart. They had a halloween party. I don't remember what Brian wore, but I took Nikki's leotard that she had worn to ballet classes and sewed yellow stripes around the fanny. He wore black tights, too. The hardest part was getting the hanger to look like a stinger, especially since he had to sit on it.
One year we had absolutely NO money - not a rare occurance when Bruce was in school. I bought some black dye and some orange dye. I took two sheets and made a cape for Chris, with the black dye, slicked his hair back with gel and charcoaled it black. He went out as Count Dracula. I took the other sheet and dyed it orange. Then I put arm holes in it and gathered it at both ends. Out of parts of black left-over sheet I made a jack-o-lantern face and sewed it on the orange sheet. I made a small orange cap. We stuffed the costume with newspapers and wa-la, Brian was the great pumpkin. He made a lot of noise when he ran because of the newspapers, but he got invited in to a lot of houses to show off that .35 costume.
When my brother, Dan, came home from his mission he was invited to a costume party. He had not been released from his mission yet, so he had to be careful. He grabbed one of Mom's sheets and hollowed out a huge pumpkin. He cut out the face, put his head inside of it and went as the headless horseman. When he got home he was soaked with sweat. That pumpkin nearly killed him, he got so hot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment