Monday, September 14, 2009

SNAKES!!!

At our first house, we had a huge garden. We grew corn, tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, potatoes, squash, onions, cabbage, lettuce, peas and whatever else we could fit in. We froze and canned everything we could. Bruce took care of the garden most of the time and I took care of the canning and freezing. We had a rototiller that we had gotten used from Bruce's dad. That was a lifesaver because the garden was so big.
In our garden we had a pet. It's name was Sylvester. I only saw him once or twice, but he was more afraid of me than I was of him. He was a garden snake. He kept the insects down so if he stayed in his part of the property I was o.k. with him. I was very aware of Sylvester Snake.
In our third summer there I was very pregnant with Brian. This must have been in late May or very early June. I looked out my kitchen window and saw Bruce walking toward the house - with Sylvester dangling from his hand. I could not believe he was bringing a snake into my house!
As Bruce entered the back door, I ran out the front. I ran down the front lawn to the street and up the hill to the corner. Fear can make pregnant women do miraculous things. I looked back to the house and saw Bruce standing on the porch laughing his butt off.
He called to me to come home, but I wouldn't until he had promised me that the snake was back in the garden. He said he wasn't going to bring it in the house, he was just going to show him to me.
Didn't matter. Snakes and I will never occupy the same space on purpose.

0 comments:

Post a Comment