Thursday, December 10, 2009

George

After Bruce and I had dated for a little over a month, we decided to meet the parents. I've already relayed the story of Bruce meeting my folks and the unfortunate 'fudge to the forehead' display.
Now I had to meet Bruce's folks. His parents were divorced. His mom lived in California but his father lived in Athens, MI. Bruce and his dad did not get along very well at that time. (Over the years Bruce has realized just how wonderful his father truly is.) George was married to a tiny woman with exploding energy named Laura. She was a kisser and a hugger. George was a "Don't even think about it!" kind of guy.
I remember George sitting in his chair and not saying much and Laura 'talking, talking'. I was so frightened. I didn't know what to expect. The visit was mercifully short.
Their house was a really nice home that they had bought when they were first married. When they bought it, it had a kitchen, bedroom and a small living room. No bathroom. When I saw it, George and Laura had converted their little 'shack' into a large lovely home. Laura was a very neat person. She would not tolerate any dirt in her house. Her kitchen was large and organized.
I was so worried that I would not be good enough, but it worked out well - after 38 years, even.

0 comments:

Post a Comment