Sunday, December 27, 2009

Kids and Their Funny Ideas

There was a huge catholic church - Precious Blood - about 1/2 mile from our home in Detroit. We saw priests and nuns walking around all the time. Nuns back then wore long black robes with black head gear trimmed in white. The only thing yo could see on them was their faces and hands. They also had some cool looking beads hanging on their robes. Whenever we saw them, there were at least two of them together. I always smiled at them and said, "Hi". They always smiled back and answered, "Hi".
One day I went home and told my mom I wanted to be a nun when I grew up. Looking back, the look on her face was quite amusing. Her mouth dropped open,her eyes bulged out and she asked (rather loudly) "Why?!?"
I was surprised at her reaction. "Because the girls all sleep together like a pajama party and I like their dresses. They smile all the time, too."
I got a lecture on the benefits of Mormonism and lack of benefits of becoming a nun.
A couple of weeks before Christmas, Ashley (Chris's daughter) announced that she wanted to be Jewish. Her mom's face, I imagine, was much like my mom's when I announced my intentions of becoming a nun. When asked why, Ashley said because they get a present everyday for eight days during Hanukkah, whereas we only get presents for one day on Christmas.
I have to say, her argument was a bit more pragmatic than mine was.

0 comments:

Post a Comment