Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Neighborhood Watch

We had lived here less than a year when I noticed a strange car parked on the side in front of my house. I was in the study working on the computer. No one else was home. We live on a cul-de-sac so there is no through traffic. I knew what my neighbors drove and what their basic habits were. I had never seen the three men in that car before. I watched them on and off for a little while then I saw the man in the passenger seat open the door, lean outside of the car but still hidden behind the door then sit up and shake his head and breath deep through his nose. O.K. I needed to keep my eye on these guys. I couldn't find any of our binoculars anywhere, but I saw Bruce's rifle with a scope leaning against the wall. It worked as well, if not better, than binoculars.
I got so nervous that I called the police. At first the dispatcher tried to poo-poo me off by saying that there was a lot of housing construction in the area and they were probably workers on a lunch break. They weren't working anything. She asked if I could get the license plate number. Ha! Through my handy dandy rifle scope I could tell her how many dead flies were on that plate. It takes talent to hold a rifle in one hand, look through the scope while talking on the phone. Not many Grandma's can do that. I gave her the number and she said she was sending a cruiser over.
I kept an eye on the car and called Bruce at work. I was seriously worried that the guys were doing drugs and would break into the houses in my neighborhood. As I was talking to Bruce, not one but three cruisers came into our little cul-de-sac and boxed the car in. They got the guys out of the car, cuffed them and put them in separate police cruisers. The police opened the trunk and pulled out several car radios, speakers, other stuff and a gun. A GUN.
I was giving a blow-by-blow accounting to Bruce when I realized I may be putting my own life in danger. I was looking out my window through a rifle scope!!!! Attached to a rifle!!!! At cops!!!!!
I put the rifle down and tried to follow the action with just my eyes. It was almost over anyway. The cops took each guy away in the separate cruisers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment