Thursday, December 17, 2009

Neighborhood Kids

When I was about 13 years old there was a 'turf war' of sorts among the kids on my neighborhood. My dad would not let me hang out with Lori, the girl next door. She was a mean little girl. She was the leader of the kids who teased my sister, Sandy, put the mud and nails in our little pool and whipped me with a rope.
However, Lori's family had money and lots of cool toys, so the kids were drawn to her. I was invited to go to the library with them, but my father said no. I have to say I was disappointed. I wanted all my old friends back.
About a week after the kids went to the library, my dad called me to talk with him. He had heard around the neighborhood that the girls who had gone to the library had stopped to buy hamburgers at Big Boy. Then they all went to Federal's department store. They took out the mustard packs they had gotten at Big Boy's and squirted mustard all over the fur coats!
Security caught that little group and called the cops. The cops called the parents and the parents had to pay restitution for the ruined fur coats. I don't remember the amount, but I do remember it was huge.
My dad then let me know that if I had been with the girls, my parents would have had to pay restitution, too. I told him that I would never have done anything so horrible. He then pointed out that if I were with the girls I would have been guilty by association. That shook me up.
It wasn't long after that my friends came back around and everything was like it was before the 'turf war'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment