Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Rob

The morning came when we had to take Robert to the airport so he could leave on his mission. He had been called to serve in the Carlsbad, California mission. He had to go to the Missionary Training Center in Provo for a short time, then on to California.
He had never travelled alone before. He was only 19 years old and the last of my brood to leave home. We had been preparing for this very moment for months - shopping, Dr. visits, dental visits, etc.
This was before the terror attack on 9/11, but security had started to tighten anyway. The airport was packed. We waited with Rob for his ticket and check in. We walked with him as far as security would let us go. Beyond the place where we had to part was a sea of people.
Bruce hugged Rob, then I did. We had to let him go. My feelings were so conflicted. I knew he needed to complete his mission for God, but he was my baby. And I couldn't even go see him off onto the plane.
He finally turned from us to go to his gate. We watched until we couldn't see him anymore. Tears were slipping down my face. We walked to a window and watched a few airplanes take off.
I remember praying. I thanked God for sending me Rob and letting him be in my care for 19 years. Then I begged Him to watch over my son - who is also God's son. My last request was that Rob would come home to me.
I didn't know it was able to feel so empty and so full at the same time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment