Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Henry Ford High

After the riots happened at Cooley High and my parents pulled me out, they tried to get me into another high school. Back then ( I don't know if it's still true) Detroit schools had 1/2 years. You could start a grade in January, not just September. So, my parents tried to sign me up to go to Henry Ford High. You had to live in the school district then, and with the busing going on it was strictly enforced.
Karen's parents offered to let me live with them and go to school, but my parents didn't want to get that drastic. There was a family in our ward who lived in Henry Ford's boundaries. They said I could use their address and still live at home. I would go to seminary in the morning, go home with Karen then either ride the bus home from Karen's or my parents would pick me up at Karen's house.
I started in January at Henry Ford. My mom registered me with a false address. I already knew a few of the kids there - Karen, Roz, their boyfriends and a few other guys. I loved it there! When I went to lunch, Roz's boyfriend invited me too sit with him. I didn't know it but the table he sat at was the table reserved for the varsity guys. There I was, varsity guys then me and the rest of the lunchroom wondering who I was.
I had gone there for two weeks when I was called into the office. My mom was there. I was being thrown out of high school. The boundary issue was so intense that the school sent out a person to check if the addresses of the new students were valid. The person at the address that my mom had used couldn't lie. She 'fessed up that I didn't really live there. So I was summarily tossed out. I was SO embarrassed.
I didn't go back to school until we moved out to Eckford and I went to Tekonsha High.

0 comments:

Post a Comment