Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Thing Steve Dragged Home

It must have been 1994 or 1995. I was standing in my dining room in Rochester, Mi when I heard this very strange scraping, screeching noise. It was faint at first, then got louder and louder. I was reminded of the War of the Worlds by Wells with this noise.
I ran to the front window and looked out to see what was going on. I saw Steve's truck with something behind it. I couldn't make out what it was, but it was the object making this otherworldly noise. The closer he got, the louder it got.
Finally he pulled up in front of the house. I waited until the noise stopped (o.k., call me a coward if you want, but if you knew Steve when he was a teenager, you would understand).
I went outside and saw this rusted out shell of a dune buggy. It had no wheels, which is why it was so noisy!
Steve was so proud of his new find. "Mom! Look! This guy said I could have it if I just took it home!" I thought of finding this guy and smacking him.
"Josie (his girlfriend a the time) and I are going too fix it up and have fun in it. It won't take too much work."
It sat out front for quite a while without anyone touching it except Rob and Brian who went out and took funny pictures of one sitting on the others' shoulders while in the driver's seat. They had a blast in the eye sore.
One day a police officer showed up at the door. He said there had been a complaint by a neighbor and we had to get the buggy out of sight or we would be ticketed. Great. So the boys pushed and pulled this ugly thing into the garage and closed the door.
A couple of years later, Bruce insisted that Steve get rid of the 'thing' in our garage. Steve called a junk yard and it was towed away.
The road to hell is filled with good intentions. I thought for sure that hell was visiting us with the noise that thing made coming down the street to my house.

0 comments:

Post a Comment