Friday, November 6, 2009

Wedding

The year was 1971. My sweetheart had proposed and I had accepted. We decided to get mat tied before the year was out - taxes!
My father had just started a job (this is after his failed attempt with his brother - Ronnie - to build houses) and my family did not have any extra money. Weddings were not something that could be budgeted for in a non-existent budget. That was all right. Bruce and I were both working and we had saved some money. We paid for our own wedding.
Being LDS we didn't have to pay for a minister or the building to get married in. My mom suggested that the family could clean up the church after the wedding so we wouldn't have to pay a clean-up fee.
I fell in love with a bridal gown and veil from the J.C. Penney catalog. Inclusively, it was $100.00. I ordered it. It did not even need any altering, it fit like the picture. Bruce is so tall that it didn't matter what height heel I had.
I had 5 bridesmaids, so Mom and I went shopping for patterns and material. I wanted all different colors in pastel. Beth made her own, Karen made her own and Mom made the other three. We also had 2 flower girls, June and my niece Pammy. They wore yellow. Mom made both of those dresses also.
My art teacher, Mrs. Pileri, made the cake. We paid $35.00 for 5 bottom cakes and three additional tiers to the top. We bought a cake top that was 2 hearts made of pearls entwined.
The most involved part of the wedding was picking out and having invitations made. Bruce and I agreed on everything. There wasn't any arguments nor was there any ego issues.
Bruce and I ordered flowers. I was so excited because I ordered a bouquet that I thought my mom would love. We drove to my house from the florist and I ran into the house to tell my mom that my bouquet was made up of red poinsettias. She flipped. How could I carry a bouquet of red flowers? People would talk! Brides carried all white flowers! We drove back to the florist and changed the order post haste!
Bruce's best man - Ken Behling - was 5'3". My maid of honor was 5'9". I had asked Mary to please buy flats for the wedding. She bought 3" heels. They looked pretty funny walking down the aisle together.
My parents bought Ted a little brown suit to wear for the wedding. He was to carry my train down the aisle.
While my father and I waited for my turn to walk down the aisle, my dad got his licks in. "There goes Beth." "There goes Karen. You're almost up!" "Well, there goes Mary. You're next! Are you nervous? I am!" By the time we walked down the aisle, I was shaking like a leaf. And crying. My life was changing. I was going from a child in my parents home to an adult in my husband's and my home. It was happening in a matter of hours.
The wedding was beautiful. Everything went well. The reception was simple - cake, mints, cashews and punch.
After the reception the wedding party drove around honking horns and creating minor havoc. When we went into the circle around the fountain in Marshall, Don's car slid on ice and his car rammed ours - well, Ken's car. There was no damage, thank heaven.
That was all almost 38 years ago. We're still together, through thick and thin, trials, happiness and 5 children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment