Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Little Israel

I grew up in Detroit 3 blocks west of the 6 Mile and Schaeffer intersection. Exactly one mile north on 7 Mile was a group of stores, a schule and some bakeries - all Jewish. People called the area Little Israel. My dad used to drive us to the bakery there and we would go in and buy bagels - fresh, smelling like heaven, all types of grains and seasonings. It was quite a treat.
My best friend, Debbie and I walked up to 7 Mile and went through the stores up there. One jewelry store had a beautiful Star of David necklace. I looked at it and counted how much money I had. The necklace was $1.00 and I had a little over .90 cents. I smiled at the little old man behind the counter and told him I didn't have enough. I started to walk away with Debbie when I heard him call me back. He asked how much I had. I told him. He grunted, gave me a sideways look then told me he would sell it to me for the money I had.
I left the store with that beautiful star nesting around my neck and a huge smile on my face.

0 comments:

Post a Comment