Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Baseball Hero

For my sixteenth birthday, the people I babysat for gave me a wonderful surprise; box seats at a Tiger's baseball game. They picked me up early - with the two kids I babysat for - and we got to the game with more than enough time to see the players warm up. I LOVED baseball and in particular the Tigers.
We got to our seats after buying food, souvenirs and a line-up book. We sat down (I know I had a smile on my face the whole time!) and saw some players still on the team. Then I saw my hero, Detroit's hero, Denny McLane winner of 31 and 30 consecutive seasons. My eyes went wide. The father of the kids told me to go over and get an autograph. At first I said no, I couldn't do that. He talked me into it.
I walked over to where Denny was having his photo taken. I waited until the session was finished before I called out to him (I'll never forget this part.). "Mr. McLane! Mr. McLane!" He started to walk away without even turning in my direction. I called even louder, "Mr. McLane!" He continued to walk away. I finally yelled, "Denny!" He turned around and glared at me. "Could I get your autograph?"
He stomped over to me, snatched the line-up book out of my hand, scribbled his name on it and almost threw it back at me. "I could get fined for this!" He snarled. Then he walked away.
I was crushed. My hero was a total jerk.
However, I had his autograph. And the game was wonderful. We won 10 to 1. I soon came to realize that Mickey Lolich was a nicer person and just as gifted a pitcher as Denny McLane.

0 comments:

Post a Comment