Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Old Friends

Facebook has become a driving force in my life - in a few areas. I have reconnected with lots of old friends. My favorite surprise was finding my friend, Mary.
Mary and I were best friends in the 11th and 12th grades at Tekonsha High School. One of our teachers called Mary my shadow; wherever I was, Mary was beside me.
Mary lived about a mile from my house. She had a younger brother who had a friend and together they loved to torture us. One day they decided we could play football with them. HA! I learned what the term "trash canned" meant. Mary was our quarterback which meant that I had to catch the ball and try to run it to the goal. Both Richard and Don would converge on me -one from my left and one from my right, scream, "Trash can!" then ram me from both sides. I would collapse and they would grab the football and run it back for a goal. They did this to Mary also. We played this 'fun' game one time only.
The Christmas after my 17th birthday I was allowed to get my ears pierced. Back then you had to go to a Dr's office and you had to have 14 carat gold earrings. I was so excited! I had been begging for years for pierced earrings. Uncle Ronnie gave me the earrings for Christmas and I made an appointment ASAP. The day I got my ears pierced, I went to Mary's house. We were sitting on the floor in their living room watching T.V. when Richard and Don snuck up behind us and threw a blanket over our heads. We gave them the appropriate screaming and yelling until they took the blanket off our heads. My newly pierced ear was missing my new earring!
I was SO mad!!! I made them help us find the earring. When it was finally found, I couldn't get the earring in the hole. I got so mad that Richard came over and put the earring in for me - backwards!
Mary decided to get her ears pierced also, so when she went to the Dr. for her piercing, I went with her. The Dr. chewed me out for roughhousing when I had just gotten the earrings put in. I tried to explain to him that Mary and I were completely innocent. He asked me if I were present? If I hadn't been there, my earring would have stayed put and I wouldn't be there bothering him. He did reverse my earring - muttering all the way.
I have so many stories about Mary and me. They were great days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment