Monday, January 11, 2010

House in Detroit

I went with my parents one time to look at a house they considered buying. I wanted this house so bad my teeth hurt! It was a split level, modern house with a BUILT IN POOL!!!! My folks weren't impressed with this house, though and bought another one.
This house was on the street that was the emergency entrance for Mt. Carmel Mercy Hospital. It was huge. There were three bedrooms upstairs, a formal dining room, breakfast nook, walk-in coat closet and a full apartment in the basement. A bonus was the house came with furniture. This furniture was very nice. I still have the china cabinet that was part of the set. This will be passed down to my daughter-in-law.
For me, living in Detroit was wonderful. In the summer I got to see my father every day (he worked afternoons) and go places with him. We would walk to the barber shop together and I would sit in a chair across the room from my dad while he got his hair cut. We would play games with our fingers, Daddy would hold his hand out and separate his fingers and I would copy him. It was not easy, but I got quite adept. Then he'd wink at me and I'd wink back, then the other eye, then twice with one eye and once with the other eye. And I would copy him. My Daddy was the most powerful and wonderful person in my life.
I remember hearing the chop, chop, chop of the push mower and smelling the fragrance of fresh cut grass. I remember sitting on my porch step with my mom's red transistor radio listening to the baseball game. I remember drawing chalk spaceships in the driveway with my friends. I remember playing 7-Up on the side of my house - sometimes with a friend, sometimes by myself.
When I was 16, the girls in my MIA class invited their boyfriends and the boys in MIA invited their girlfriends to my home and we had a formal dinner that the girls cooked. Then we all drove to the stake center for a formal danced. It was great! (Except for the baked Alaska.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment