Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Play-off Pain

It was 1989. We attended the Clarkston Ward. I was Laurel advisor at the time. We had missionaries from Utah and California. The Pistons were in the play-offs against the Lakers.
Between my boys, myself and the two missionaries a fun rivalry had developed.
After a particularly good game that the Pistons had won, I decided to have some fun. I only had 1 Laurel show up that day, so Vicky (YW president), Becca (the 1 Laurel) and I went out to the missionaries car with soap we had pilfered from the restroom. We were singing the praises of our basketball team with adoration in the form of soap messages on the windows of their car.
Vicky had never done anything like this before, so she didn't know what to write. I told her anything that praised the Pistons. When done, we went back inside and attended our meeting like the good Christians that we are.
My family left pretty soon after meetings were over. When we got home the phone rang. It was Elder Vi (He was from Tonga originally and his last name was almost impossible for us to pronounce, so he called himself Elder Vi.). Elder Vi had been in a gang in L.A. before he found the gospel, so he could get a 'rough' sound to his voice. I tried to play innocent, but asked why he was so upset.
"Because I had to ride home with my window down."
"Why?"
"I will not ride around with "I love Bill" written on my window!"
I almost fell over laughing. Vicky couldn't think of anything to say and she didn't follow sports. She did like Bill Lambier, however. (He was over 7 foot tall and she was 4'11".) So she wrote 'I love Bill' on the passenger window.
Let them 'dis' our Pistons!

0 comments:

Post a Comment