Thursday, January 14, 2010

Small Acts

I went to Target to pick up a few things today. Among the items I needed to pick up was a bag of hard candy for my diabetic husband. The Dr. added a new medication to his regimen and his sugar has been going pretty low at times. He gets very shaky until he can get some sugar in him. I found some Werther's butterscotch candy - his fave.
I bought my items and got to my car to put them in. I emptied out my cart and saw the bag of candy laying in the cart. I hadn't paid for them. I didn't even see them in the cart when I went to the check out. O.K., the right thing to do is to take the candy back into the store and pay for them. Another walk in the cold half a parking lot away. I'm sure I had been over-charged for some item in all the years I had shopped at Target. BUT that was Target's problem, not mine. I had to go and either put the candy back or pay for it.
I walked back to Target with the candy in one hand and two dollars in the other. As I walked in the door I glanced down at the candy - it was sugar-free!!!!! Not any good at all for what it was intended for.
Nobody even glanced my way as I walked back in with the candy in my hand and walked to the candy aisle. I put the Werther's back and found another hard candy to get for Bruce. I really paid for this candy.
It's strange how things work out. If I had not been honest, I would have brought home the wrong candy. If Bruce had needed the sugar...well, I'm happy that I let my conscience be my guide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment