Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Problems at the Grocery Store

It took me over a year to tell anyone what happened. I was embarrassed, humiliated and mad. Really mad.
It took place at a Meijers store in Waterford. I had taught an exercise class at church and was taking Mandy home for her mom, Roz. Mandy was around 3 years old. I had some time to kill before Mandy was supposed to be home, so I stopped at Meijers and did some shopping. By the time I got to the check out line, my cart was pretty full. Mandy was sitting in the child seat in the front.
Mandy was an absolutely adorable toddler. My main concern was keeping her happy and safe. I got into line with my full cart. I was probably the third person in line and everyone in front of me had full carts also.
A man got in line behind me. I should have noticed right away that something was wrong. He only had two or three items to buy, but instead of going into the fast lane, he came to the long lane.
He was dressed like a college professor - dress pants, dress shirt and a jacket with patches on the elbows.
He was getting kind of close to me, but I thought he was getting too close to Mandy. I made sure my body was between him and Mandy the whole time. Then I felt a rub on my butt! I spun around and the guy apologized and said he was reaching for a candy bar. I gave him a dirty look but didn't see any reason not to believe him.
The line had moved ahead so we were between two high walls filled with impulse items. I felt something rub on my butt again! Again I spun around and he made some excuse about dropping something. Again the dirty look, but this time I had my doubts he was telling the truth. Brick house doesn't have to drop on me!
The third and last time the guy actually pushed himself against my butt (his private part was seeking company!)! This time I reached out and grabbed the food divider and stared at him. I started to slap the divider up and down in the palm of my hand.
I was finally ready to check out. I still was concerned about the pervert getting to Mandy. It was difficult to keep myself between her and the nut and get food out of the cart.
After I payed for the groceries, I was furious! I looked for the guy, but he was gone! He must have pushed through the line back into the store because I looked all over for the guy - even outside.
I was so angry with myself. Here I was a 2nd degree black belt and some masher molested me in line at Meijers! I should have given the guy a palm heel to his nose! I should have at least screamed at him. But all I did was give dirty looks and slap the divider in my hand.
He will do this to another woman. And I had a chance to stop him for at least a little while. I didn't. I had failed.
There are men out there who get excited just by touching. That's all they want to do - at least at first.
The only thing I felt good about was that Mandy was safe. I did what I could to not let her be aware that something was wrong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment