Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Devil's Night

Devil's night in Detroit was a lot of fun when I was a kid. There was nothing malicious going on at all. We soaped windows and rang doorbells. One devil's night my parents had gone out leaving my brothers, Sandy and I at home.
My brothers were told that they could under no circumstances leave the house. So they did the next best thing; they rigged the front upstairs window to be ready for anyone who decided to 'trick' our house that night. Late October in Michigan is usually not exactly balmy; however, my brothers took the screen out of that window and opened it wide. Right underneath that window was the front door where the tricksters would ring the bell and run.
They filled balloons with water and arranged them within easy reach of the window. Then they waited.
It wasn't too long when the first 'devil' snuck up to the front porch to ring the bell and run. Dan and Dennis waited, waited until the guy got right under the window and threw the water filled balloons at him.
My brothers were the best at being inventive in their boredom. I don't know how many people they got, but I remember (I was about 7 years old) the two of them laughing their butts off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment