Saturday, October 10, 2009

Yellow Swimming Pool

I must have been about 8 or 9 years old when my parents bought a 2 foot pool for my sister and I. Our backyard was divided between grass and a cement patio. The grass was next to the house, then the patio on the other side of the grass. The pool was put on the patio.
Sandy loved water. We had a blow-up raft that she would lay on and float in our little pool for hours on end. She had a smile on her face the entire time she was in the pool. Maybe the water released her from her prison for a short while.
My parents had to put a latch lock too high for Sandy to reach on the screen door so she wouldn't just take off for the pool without any one's knowledge. She would get up in the middle of the night and wander the house sometimes, turning up the heat or even going outside. They had to put a cage on the thermostat.
My friend, Jo Jo and I swam in our little pool a lot, too. We would wade around and around until we had a current then float and let the current carry us. We also had breath-holding contests. We could do tricks under the water. That is until our neighbors decided that we were having too much fun. The girls next door would throw dirt and twigs in our pool. One day I got a nail stuck in my knee from them. And of course, the kids would line up on their side of the chain link fence that separated the yards and make fun of Sandy. Usually Sandy ignored them, but it was hard for us to ignore them. They were trying to hurt Sandy.
Right next door the family had a 5 foot pool that just about filled their entire backyard. They had dug down into the ground to make it even deeper. Behind us was another huge pool. There was nothing to be jealous of.
I think we enjoyed our little pool that one summer. It got too much to clean it every time we wanted to swim in it. Daddy took the pool and gave it to a young man at work who had a little boy.
The scriptures tell us we will reap what we sow. Sandy's gone now to Father's care. I wonder often about those mean spirited children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment