Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Playing Doctor

I worry about old, old memories, so I talked to my mother about this one. And she said that, yes, it happened like this.
When I was about 4 years old our neighbors had a daughter a little younger than me. Her name was Debbie. She came over one day and we decided to play doctor. (Remember Mom had Sandy to tend to, so I was on my own a bit more than I should have been.) Debbie was the Dr. and I was the patient. Our hospital room was the bathroom. I was so sick that I had to be put to bed in the bathtub. Debbie got out medicine and started feeding it to me. Mom came in to check on us and saw a half empty aspirin bottle. Debbie had fed me half a bottle of 'medicine'. Being so young we had no idea how dangerous this was.
Debbie was sent home and Mom called the hospital. While she was on the phone, I started to vomit. And vomit. And vomit some more. The hospital told my mom that if I were vomiting, I would be fine.
That afternoon we went to my Aunt Patricia's house for a visit. I remember Mom laying me on Aunt Patricia's bed. I slept through the whole visit.
I never played Dr. again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment