Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Honor Your Parents

I looked up the word 'honor'. It can be used as a noun, adverb or adjective. I believe God used it as an adverb - as 'to honor'. So what does this mean, 'to honor'? I looked it up in the dictionary and saw what I expected to see; to give respect, to dignify, etc.
I looked upp 'honor' in the Mormon Doctrine. "To honor another person is to hold him in high esteem, to accord him respectful regard because of his high worth;"
Then I looked up The Ten Commandments in the mormon Doctrine. The ten commandments were written twice. The first set had principles of the priesthood in it. When Moses saw the actions of the Hebrews, he broke the first set.
The Lord said the second set was a "law of carnal commandment", the Lord would not go into the midst of the Hebrews. However, the same eternal standards were revealed.
If someone cannot do the simple laws of the ten commandments, how can one go on to live the laws of the priesthood?
I read every day about kids accusing their parents of horrible things. I read about how the children say their parents have not earned their respect.
How can these young people possibly go forward with their lives if they cannot do one simple thing the Lord has requested - no commanded - such as, "Honor thy mother and thy father."

0 comments:

Post a Comment