Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Names

There are six kids in my family: Dan, Dennis, Sandy, me, June and Ted. My mother named the first 3 kids and my father named the last 3 kids. My father named me Katherine Joan - with Joan pronounced Joanne.
Mom was all right with the name Katherine, but she didn't want anyone to tag me with the nickname Kat. They shortened Katherine to Kitty.
When I was very small my brother, Dennis, called my Kiki.
I can remember my dad singing a song to me that was from the WWII era. It was supposed to have the name Katie in it, but he always put my name in it. It was:
K-k-k-kitty. beautiful Kitty,
You're the only one that I adore.
When the m-m-moon shines
On the c-c-cow shed,
I'll be knocking on your k-k-kitchen door.
I remember the song, but I feel the love that my daddy had for his little girl. I'll bet if I could see my own face, I would have reflected the love I have for him, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment