Monday, October 19, 2009

Shanghaied

Bruce was not a member of the church when we got married. He had taken the discussions. He went to church with me every Sunday. He had no problem with the word of wisdom and accepted the 4 standard works as scripture. But I couldn't get him to commit to baptism.
I was pregnant with our first child and wanted to raise the baby in an LDS home. I went to my bishop and told him what was going on. Bishop Watson called Bruce into his office and asked him how things were going. Bruce told him everything was fine. Then the bishop asked him questions concerning the church. Bruce answered all his questions. Then the bishop asked Bruce when he should schedule his baptism.
The interview was actually a baptism interview that neither Bruce nor I knew about. Bruce was stunned, but agreed to a date for baptism.
When we got out of the office, Bruce said, "I think I was just shanghaied!".
My dad baptized and confirmed Bruce. He's been a good member since 1972 and has a strong testimony.
Two years after baptism we went to the Washington D.C. Temple to be sealed with two of our children for all time and eternity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment