Saturday, October 24, 2009

Policeman

I had bought the cutest little Volkswagen bug to drive when we lived in Springfield. I bought it for around $500.00 from a kid who was going to college. This kid had taken care of this little car like it was his first-born child. It had a quick little engine, glass pack mufflers and a p.a. system.
Bruce drove it when we were all going somewhere together. Bruce would drive, I had a baby on my lap, 2 more kids in the back seat and 2 kids in "the way back". There were no seat belt laws back then, obviously.
Bruce was driving down State Street when we saw lights behind us and a short 'WOOP'. He pulled over and a policeman swaggered up to the car.
"Know why I pulled you over"
"No."
"This is a quiet zone and your muffler is way too loud. I'm gonna ticket you, but if you fix it within 10 days, take your proof to the courthouse and the ticket won't need to be paid."
Bruce was huffing and sputtering. He was furious. We never had any extra money back then.
The officer then poked his head in the window and looked around for a few minutes. He told Bruce to wait for a minute and went back to his cruiser.
When he came back, he handed out toy police badges to each of the kids.
Bruce was mad, the kids were thrilled and I was secretly giggling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment