Monday, October 12, 2009

Sister Angels

We hadn't lived in Rochester, Mi., very long when we met 2 sister missionaries. I'm not sure, but I think their names were Sister Severston and Sister Hess. They were both very pretty young women.
I went with them a few times to visit people and I took them shopping or on other errands. They called Bruce quite often for blessings. We both felt that Sister Severston was close to being a daughter to us.
One day they came over for lunch and asked if I could make hem a couple of jumpers. They had to wear dresses every day except Monday. We went shopping and they bought their material. We had enough to make them 3 jumpers each. With the leftover material, my daughter made them tie quilts for their beds.
Sister Severston was from sunny California and not used to our Michigan winters. Her mom bought her a long, warm coat. The Sister's had been out on their bikes proselyting when they saw a man with a sign. The sign read, "Will work for food". The Sisters approached him and learned that he had been out of work for a while and had a family to feed. He was wearing a thin jacket. Sister Severston took off her warm expensive coat and insisted that he take it.
They later came to my house. I asked Sister Severston where her coat was and she declined to tell me. Sister Hess told me.
This sweet sister gave away her warm coat to a poor unknown man. To me, this is the epitome of the scripture where Christ said (paraphrased) if someone asks you for your cloak give him your cloak also. And he didn't even ask. She saw a need and met it.
I pray these sweet sisters have had wonderful blessed lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment