Saturday, October 3, 2009

Gremlin vs Bowling Ball

My parents wanted to go on a trip to Washington D.C. with a group from church. They had asked me to come and spend the night with June and Ted. Bruce stayed with our kids and I slept on their couch. However, this is not even part of this incredible story.
June and I took our parents to Jackson, Mi and waited with them until the bus picked them up then went home to Eckford.
Ted was a bowler. He was a good bowler, too. On this fateful day, Ted had bowled poorly.
June picked Ted up from the bowling alley after we got home from Jackson. Ted was in a bad mood because of his bowling. I thought I could lighten his outlook by telling him to do what Daddy does when he bowls poorly - punish his bowling ball by leaving it outside.
Ted thought that was a good idea, so he put his bag with ball inside of it just inside the garage.
Later that night, I was to drive the Lincoln and June was to follow me in the Gremlin to Jackson to drop off a car so Mom and Daddy could come home without us having to wait for them. They didn't want their daughters waiting in an abandoned parking lot close to a federal prison.
I got into the Lincoln which was parked in the driveway behind the Gremlin which was in the garage. I had not driven this car before. June got into the Gremlin. I started my car, June started hers. I put my car in reverse, June put hers in reverse. My car started to back out of the driveway, June's didn't. I could hear the tires of the Gremlin trying to get purchase but the car didn't budge. June was stomping on the gas too get it to move, but the only thing happening was the smoke from tires that didn't quite have enough tread on the floor to make the car move. I stopped my car and wondered what was going on. Then I noticed something under the Gremlin's bumper rolling back and forth, back and forth. It was Ted's bowling ball!
I tried to honk the horn, but I couldn't find it. It was not located in the center of the steering wheel. I tried pushing on the wheel itself, but no honk happened. By this time I'm starting to giggle at the sight of that bowling ball rolling around under the bumper.
I could hear June yelling in frustration at the car not moving. I decided to get out of my car and tell her what was going on. I couldn't find the door handle! Nothing. No horn and no door handle. I'm laughing now uncontrollably.
I saw June put the car in gear, get out, slam the door and stomp back to where I was sitting in my car. She yanked the door open and I just about spilled out because I was laughing so hard. When I gained control of myself, we went to the Gremlin and saw that , sure enough, Ted's bowling ball was stuck under the bumper. It was just tall enough to keep the Gremlin from being able to move.
We couldn't believe it! Next to the rear bumper was the bag the ball was squirted out of. The back tire had caught a corner of the bowling bag and squished it until the ball popped out. There was a perfect half-moon tear in the bag.
I went inside and got Ted. We made him lift the bumper so we could get the ball out from under the bumper. I told him to please hide the bag and ball until we could tell Mom and Daddy the net day.
June and I delivered the Gremlin to Jackson. We got home, Ted was in bed, June went to bed and I slept on the couch. I wasn't really asleep when Mom and Daddy came in, but I pretended to be. I knew they were tired, so I didn't bother them with a 'hello'. I heard Mom go into her bedroom then say, "What in the world! What happened to the bowling ball!"
My brilliant brother hid the ball in Mom and Daddy's bedroom. Mom almost tripped over it.
The next day the story came out that Ted had punished his ball, but put it too close to the Gremlin and the tire crushed the bag until the ball popped out and rolled under the bumper so June couldn't get the car too move and the ball kept rolling back and forth... yada, yada, yada.

P.S. The horn was located in the steering wheel, but to activate it, you had to squeeze the wheel. The door handle was a tiny pull that was located forward. I was used to big handles right next to driver. What a night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment