Friday, August 7, 2009

Apologies

There was a lady in my church one day who said, "I don't apologize. People who know me know that I don't have a mean bone in my body."
I wish I had opened my mouth then, but I sat stunned in silence - or maybe stunned TO silence.
I can't remember a day that has gone by that I haven't apologized for something. I am so far from perfect that I need at least the sense of humility to save my repentent soul.
In The Dialogues of Plato, Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."
I guess it would be very easy to go through life feeling that apologies are unnecessary or signs of weakness. And then there are those who apologize at the drop of a hat, but are insincere.
True apologies cleanse the soul, clears the air and allows God's spirit to reside within you. Humility is the base for apologies. The scriptures are rife with references to humility and to where it leads. It leads to opening up your true self to great influences instead of depending on yourself to know what's right and wrong.
The history of our civilization shows the inability of human nature to make good decisions without the influence of God. And God will not communicate with people who refuse to be humble.
I wish we could all examine our lives and allow ourselves to be humbled enough to merely apologize.

0 comments:

Post a Comment