Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sandy

I have an older sister named Sandy. She's 4 years older than I. She's also a very special person. Sandy was severly retarded. Tests weren't done at birth back then, so our parents didn't know for 100% sure that she was handicapped until she was nearly two years old. She was more content by herself.
Sandy was not the sweet Downs Syndrome child. She was stubborn, a loner and would only let our father cuddle her.
Our house in Detroit had a screened in sun porch. That room was Sandy's favorite place to be. We had a large spring horse out there and a glider. Sandy loved that horse. She would sit and rock back and forth and sing to herself a wordless la, la, la, tune.
One summer day I happened to walk by the door to the sunroom and I saw Sandy crying. Silent tears were going down her face. Her head was lowered as if in shame. This was not the way my sister acted. I went out to see what was going on. About three feet away from the screen on the other side of a fence was a group of neighborhood children taunting her. They were calling her names. They were mocking her. She could sense that she was different from them. She could sense that she was the object of their meanness.
I took Sandy by her hand and got her off the horse. I then took her back into the house and closed the door. I was only 12 but had never felt such a cold feeling in my soul as I had felt that day. How could these children be so mean!?!
I don't remember anything else about that day, but I remember how much I loved my sister and how much I wanted to protect her from the 'normal' people of the world.
At the beginning of this post I used confusing grammer that I will explain. Sandy IS my sister, although she passed away in 1997. I believe in a continuation of life beyond the grave. We will always be a family because we were sealed as a family in the Holy Temple.
I said she WAS retarded. In the next life we will be restored to perfection. Sandy is now perfect. She no longer has the retardation that protected her from tests in this world. I know she will attain the highest degree of glory and be with our Father. I believe she is now teaching those who have not had the opportunity to hear the true gospel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment