Monday, August 3, 2009

Laughs

My very favorite thing to do in the entire world is to laugh! Not giggle, not titter, no silent guffaws for me. No - belly laugh until I cry is what I love to do. And coming from the family that I do, well, let's just say it's a good thing. We love to laugh. Every once in a while I'll post somthing that happened that was funny. Hang on for the ride.
Growing up in Detroit, there weren't that many opportunities to swim. Once a year, on Daddy's vacation, we'd go to Metro Beach. My mom couldn't wait to tell me how she coould out-swim me, out-float me, hold her breath longer than I could...and she could! Mom grew up on Goguac Lake in Battle Creek. She swam every day that she could.
One time when I was sixteen our family was invited to go to a cabin that my Uncle Charles and Aunt Gladys had rented. It was on a lake in Coldwater, MI.
I was the last to change into my bathing suit, so everyone was at the lake waiting for me. No one had noticed me coming out of the cottage. Luck was smiling on me - my mom was standing at the end of the pier looking into the lake. I snuck up behind and pushed her as hard as I could into the water. Ha! Finally a chance to be a step ahead of her at the water!
But she didn't surface. Grandma, Uncle Ronnie, Uncle Charles, Aunt Gladys, my dad and I were all looking where my mom had gone in. I was starting to get scared!
Then she surfaced. And went back down. She was down for a while again. She came up and went down several times. Finally, she had worked her way to the edge of the water and ran out and into the cabin.
I was so worried that I had hurt my mom. Daddy said he would go into the cabin to make sure she was fine. He came out about ten minutes later to a very silent family. He said, "She's fine. I'm not so sure about the fish, though."
He wouldn't say anything else, so when Mom came out of the cabin, we asked her. She was not a happy camper and wouldn't answer any questions.
On the way home, Daddy finally explained what Mom had sworn him to secrecy to at the cabin. When I hit Mom in the back with my hands it surprised her so much she opened her mouth. And her dentures fell out into the lake. With her. She found her dentures after a few scary moments, ran into the cabin to clean them off and swore my father to secrecy in front of the rest of the family. She said she wasn't about to leave her teeth in the lake!
Daddy said the fish all scattered because her teeth kept moving even though they fell out of her mouth. They thought pirannha had invaded!
The only time I thought I could get ahead of mom, I put the wildlife in danger.

0 comments:

Post a Comment