Monday, August 17, 2009

Culture Shock

I grew up in Detroit. Big city. When I was almost 17, my family moved out to the country. My dad and my uncle were going to build houses and become millionaires. Meanwhile, my parents, little sister, June, and baby brother, Ted, moved into a horrible little farmhouse next to the property where they were going to build.
In Detroit there was a streetlight right in front of our house. We lived on a street that was the emergency entrance to a hospital. There was always traffic on our street. We had neighbors that you could actually see when you looked out your window. I could walk to the store - any store. I could either take a city bus to school or save the bus fare and walk. All my friends were there. Most importantly, my boyfriend was there.
My mom and I had a lot of fun planning out where things would go in our new home. Reality then struck. The room I was going to have was so small that a single bed and my dresser fit, but you couldn't open the drawers to the dresser. I cried myself to sleep that night then dreamed of my beautiful room in Detroit.
The nights were completely black. And there were BATS! The only thing I knew about bats was that they turned you into vampires. When I looked out my window, I saw trees and land and fields full of harvest. I saw flowers and cows and pigs (smelled them, too) and a mean rooster. No human life. And nasty snakes!!! I hate snakes!!!
There were no stores within walking distance. There were no buses to ride to the stores.
My parents did everything in their power to make me happy. They went to the grain store and bought some ducks. The ducks refused to go to the pond to swim. My mom, my dad and I each picked up a duck and walked to the small pond not far away. I got pooped on. And the ducks followed us back to the house.
Both my mom and dad worked on the house they were building. My uncle didn't keep his end of the bargain up very well. I stayed home and tended June and Ted when Mom was helping my dad. When Mom wuld come hime to cook dinner she'd send me over to tell Daddy to come home. The stupid rooster would come running after me flapping his wings and making horrid noises. I tried to kick that dumb rooster, but never made any contact, so I would run. My mom watched out the kitchen window and got her entertainment.
After school started I got into the groove of life in the country. I got to know the kids in the area and absolutely loved my little high school in Tekonsha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment