Thursday, August 13, 2009

How I Met My Husband

My very first job that actually took taxes out of my paycheck was working in a nursing home. My best friend - Mary Hazen - in the whole world's mother was a midnight nurse at this particular home. Mary and I both applied to be nurses aides. I got the job but Mary got a job in the housekeeping department. SO much smarter!!!!!
We worked there for a two weeks before I saw this very tall skinny guy walking behind a food cart looking over the top of it. He was about 6,4", had blue eyes and short blond hair. He looked like a missionary. (Now I giggle over that impression!!!)
We didn't really talk to each other because we were both kind of shy. And I also thought he was dating another nurses aide. At least she acted that way. (Later he admitted to kissing her in the laundry room - that irrepressible rascal.)
Finally he asked me if I would like a ride home from work the next day. I couldn't say 'yes' fast enough. He drove a 1965 grabber blue ford falcon. However, this day he borrowed his dad's red 1959 MG. What a ride!
After that first ride, he took me home quite often. Then he asked me out for a date. Our first date was to a drive-in theater. The movie was Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant".
We dated 5 months before we got married. We've been married for almost 38 years now. Sometimes it has been tough, but anything worth anything takes work. And it definately has been worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment