Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dan and Friend

When I was about 7 years old, my brother, Dan had a friend (I will not mention his name to protect, well, me) who had a hard time getting a date. Dan, on the other hand, had no problem getting date. This friend would pay for the date if Dan could get them both a date and they would double. This friend (I'll call him 'Bob'.) had a serious crush on a girl (I'll call her Sue.). Bob asked Dan to get a double date going with Sue for him and whoever Dan wanted for himself. No problem. The date was set up and carried through. The problem occured when Sue decided she liked Dan better than Bob. Bob knew thi and felt Dan 'tole' his girl.
Bob came over to our house late one night. When Bob rang the doorbell, my mom answered. Bob aked to speak to Dan. Mom knew right away there was something wrong. Dan spoke to Bob for a minute then asked Mom to turn off the backyard lights. He also asked that we ignore anything that we heard from the backyard.
Mom and I could hear grunts and crashes, but we didn't get involved. No police were called. Mom didn't go screaming into the night about her baby getting beat up. (Did I mention that Dan was 5'5" and Bob was over 6' with probably 80 pound on Dan?)
After not too long Dan came into the houee and Bob left. That was it. Dan and Bob got it off their chests, didn't involve anyone else. A few bruises and little blood and things were good again.
I wish things could be handled that simply today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment