Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lucky the Skunk Dog

We lived in thi old farmhouse in the country for 6 years. During thi time we had a dog named Lucky. He was a big mutt that looked like a cross between a german shephard and a collie. He was also a big sweetheart. The only big problem we ever had with Lucky was his hate of skunks. He thought it was his job to rid our property of these stinky little creatures. Unfortunately, he often wore the 'scent' of his nemesis. Even tomato baths couldn't take the complete smell out of his thick fur.
One beautiful summer day my sister-in-law and I had a yard sale. It was quite successful. We had a lot of people stop by. Lucky loved people, so he was in heaven. I did notice, though, people would pay attention to Lucky then leave. Being busy, it took me a bit to notice that there was a sign on Lucky's neck. It said, "Scratch and sniff". Lucky wore that sign proudly.
I also noticed 3 of my boys hiding behind a bush giggling their socks off. O.K. Time to investigate. I called Lucky over and took the sign off from him. I patted his big head then realized a horrible 'skunk-like' smell waft up. The smell was on my hands from petting the dumb dog.
No wonder people left. Once they petted Lucky, they didn't have to sniff too long before they noticed the smell from their fingers. Skunk. And the smell didn't just wash off, either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment