Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Family History

A few years ago Bruce and I worked on a labor of love that took most of a year. We collected stories, edited, got photos and included a complete genealogy line on both of my parents (going back to the 1500's on both lines). Bruce is a wizard on the computer (this is before programs were available to put books together) and copied, pasted and did whatever else was necessary to make 11 books. We took the pages in and had Kinko's bind each book.
What makes this book so wonderful is not the work that Bruce and I did (June also ran down some difficult photos for the book), but the precious stories that my mom and dad wrote about their childhoods.
Times are so different now than when they grew up. Times were so much simpler then. It was during the depression, but neither of them realized that they were poor. They may have lacked money, but they were rich in friends, family and ceativity.
What I particularly love about these stories are the feelings that they included with the stories. I could glimpse back into their lives and see how they grew up and why they feel the way they do about certain things.
This book is history. This book is a lesson for the future. This book is proof to me as to how wonderful my mon and dad are.

0 comments:

Post a Comment