Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Martial Arts

I took a journalism class at Utah Technical College (now Salt Lake Community College) where we had to find an interesting story on campus. It was a very small campus and it was a full class. I went to the student union building and noticed a flier about karate classes. The classes were $5.00 a class. I decided that I didn't really know much about karate exept that my oldest brother had taken classes in Detroit (where they eat the weak).
I interviewed the instructor at the next karate class. While I was there, I noticed two women smacking each other around then helping each other up and acting like nothing happened!!! I observed small children, women and men hitting and kicking the air. I was SO impressed!!
The article I wrote was about how health beneficial karate was. I didn't really understand what was going on.
Anyway, I was so fascinated that I enrolled in that first karate class. The style was Chinese - Chua Fa Ssu Ren. I think. It was so long ago. The instructor was a return missionary. His wife also took and helped teach classes. She was a lot of fun.
Chinese styles are more acrobatic than most other martial arts. The instructor (I can't remember this poor guys name) decided to teach us how to do front flips. He layed down on his back with his knees bent and his arms extended straight up from the floor. The students were to run to the instructor and put their hands in his, push off with their feet and he would help them flip over him. I'm a chicken if it has anything to do with flipping, so I decided to stand on the sideline with the wife. We watched student after student doing exactly what was intended - until this one woman came running. She was very well endowed. She ran up to the instructor, bent over to put her hands in his and push off with her feet. She missed his hands. This poor return missionary- newly married man had two hands full of very large boobs as the woman landed face down on him.
I don't remember anything more of that class. The wife and I were just about hanging on each other while gales of laughter flew around this little room. We both had tears streaming down our faces while the poor instructor and student were red faced.

0 comments:

Post a Comment